Gamification in Online Casinos – How to use learnings from Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges and Leaderboards
In our weekly Unibook club, we have spent some time reading Yu-kai Chou‘s “Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards”. This book provides an in-depth analysis of the mechanisms that trigger human behavior. Using the Octalysis framework, Chou unveils eight core drives that motivate individuals in various scenarios. One might wonder: How can these principles be applied to add Gamification in online casinos in order to boost player retention and engagement?
Online casinos inherently contain many elements of unpredictability, risk, and reward. When merged with Chou’s core drives and Unibo’s robust gamification tools, they can be turned into a powerhouse of user engagement.
- Epic Meaning & Calling: Introduce overarching narratives or themes. Players could be part of a grand storyline where each game or bet takes them closer to a larger goal. We have seen many online casinos use this core driver to gain a following of players. Some of the early adopters was Mr Green Casino, and their character Mr Green with his distinctive green bowler hat.
- Development & Accomplishment: Leaderboards, progress bars, and achievement badges could be utilized. With Unibo, regular missions can be set where players can claim free spins, bonuses, or cash, thus continuously feeling a sense of accomplishment.
- Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback: Give players tools to customize their casino experience. In our work to identify gamification in online casinos, we have found many casinos who touch upon this core driver. The ability to change their playing experience with Day/Night mode in the casino lobby or offering the option to create an Avatar are some of the long hanging fruits for Online casinos to offer their players something out of the ordinary.
- Ownership & Possession: Virtual assets, like exclusive game tables or collectible items, could be introduced. If players are offered the ability to showcase and brag about winning a tournament or earning badges for completing certain aspect of games, they are more likely to stay playing at that casino. They will not want to move to a new casino, as they would then “lose” their hard earned virtual achievements.
- Social Influence & Relatedness: Multiplayer games, chat functions, and social sharing features can strengthen player engagement. This driver of gamification in online casinos is prominent in Online bingo. This is a product which has wholly embraced social influence as a key driver for getting players to return and play on a regular basis. This of course comes from the live version of Bingo, where the social aspect is a key driver for players to go to their local bingo parlour and enjoy playing with friends. Some companies have focused on bringing the social gameplay to the realm of online casinos. Live Spins and The Mill Adventure are two examples of companies who offer the chance to bet behind Streamers who will play a slot whilst all the bet behind players follow the game play in hope of the big win. When it happens, everyone celebrates together.
- Scarcity & Impatience: Exclusive, time-limited games or bonuses could be presented. With Unibo, ‘Flash Events’ can be organized, where unique rewards are available for a short period, driving immediate action. Prize drops for an evening or short period Races drives players to compete for a limited amount of prices.
- Unpredictability & Curiosity: Besides the inherent unpredictability of casino games, surprise bonuses or mystery events can be woven in. With Unibo, you can introduce “hidden campaigns” where players are unaware of the exact rewards they can receive and on any spin, they might suddenly receive a bonus, free spins or other valuable prize.
- Loss & Avoidance: Notify players of streaks or nearing achievements to prevent them from leaving.
By adding Gamification to your Online casino, you can increase the longevity of your players and make them stay in your casino instead of leaving for greener pastures. In conclusion, “Actionable Gamification” offers profound insights that, when combined with Unibo’s gamification tools, can significantly amplify online casino players’ engagement and retention. As the digital landscape grows more competitive, such applications become not just advantageous, but essential.